- 1 Preface
- 2 Introduction
- 3 Membership Tasks
- 4 Membership Card Tasks
This article will be updated on a regular basis. Updates may be required in response to updates to DARS or changes to business processes or errors.
Refer to DARSWiki Conventions for information on icons and other conventions that may apply to this article.
Ensure you are familiar with the Data Protection laws before adding data to records in DARS. Refer to DARSWiki FurtherHelp for further information and relevant links.
Please think twice before printing this article. If a printed copy is necessary, ensure it is printed double-sided and always recycle old versions.
(Return to Memberships)
When you add a membership for a constituent, a Memberships tab appears on their constituent’s record. On that tab you can view the membership information including how long the constituent has maintained a membership, who the primary member is, and the last renewal date.
Constituent Memberships Tab
On the Memberships tab of the constituent record, you manage memberships for the constituent. This tab displays all memberships for the constituent, along with basic membership information for each one, such as membership programme name, level, status and the names of the members. The tab also includes quick links to add an interaction and issue a membership card. Depending on your security rights and system role you can also add a new membership for the constituent and perform other tasks. For more information about how to add a membership to a constituent, see Membership Dues.
Tip: While the University does not currently used households, this tip is included for completeness.
Click on the name of the programme for each membership on the tab to access the constituent’s membership page for that programme.
Constituent Membership Page
On the constituent membership page, you view all the information about the membership for the constituent including the membership programme and level, member ID, status and type, member since date, and the membership level terms. Depending on your security rights and system role, you can perform functions to manage the membership such as add or renew a membership and cancel a membership.
The sections below provide more detail about the information and sections on the Membership page:
In the Summary section, view the membership level, the amount of dues or the lowest level of contributions for the membership, and the membership status. You can also view the members listed for the membership, along with their lookup IDs. In addition, you can view information about the expiration date or recent and upcoming payments, when applicable.
If the constituent paid with a credit or debit card and wanted the membership to automatically renew, the Flagged for auto-renew icon appears in the main summary section.
Note: You can send renewal notices as appeals from the Mailings tab in the Appeals task in Marketing and Communications.
If a membership programme has payments tracked in another system, revenue-related information and tasks, such as Total payments made or the Make a payment task, are not available.
From this summary panel, click the relevant option to Edit members listed for the membership, Add (an) interaction with the constituent or Issue (a) member card.
- In the Primary member section, view information related to the primary member for the membership, including their primary address, phone number, and email address. You can hover over each piece of contact information and click Edit to make changes. If you click Contact information, you go to the Contact tab of the constituent record.
- In the Additional Details section, view the member's constituencies. If you click Communication preferences, you go to the Preferences tab on the constituent's communications page.
- In the Lifetime information section, view the total membership amount and the last renewal. If a membership programme has payments tracked in another system, information about the number of transactions for the lifetime membership is not available.
- In the Other memberships section, view details of other memberships for the constituent. You can click on each membership to view the membership page. Click Add membership to add an additional membership for the constituent.
- In the Member cards section, you can view a list of membership cards issued. See Membership Cards for further information about membership cards including how to issue new cards, print cards, assign card numbers, and edit, cancel or delete a membership card.
- In the Comments section, view a summary panel of the notes associated with the transaction and with the membership details. You can also edit the comments.
- In the Add-ons section, view current add-ons associated with the membership. You can filter this list to include inactive or expired add-ons if needed.
- In the Recent member activities section, view a list of recent member activities, including interactions and event registrations. Click on the description of each item to open the interaction or event registration. Click View all activities to go to a list of all interactions and event registrations.
- In the Benefits and sent items section, view a list of benefits and sent items, which includes recent mailings. Click View all benefits and items to go to a list of all benefits and items sent for this membership.
- In the Recent membership transactions section, view a list of recent membership transactions. You can select a recent membership transaction and click Edit to manually adjust the level, term, transaction date, and expiration date. Updating details on the Edit a membership transaction screen does not change the actual revenue transaction. Click View complete revenue history to go to the Revenue History tab on the Revenue and Recognition page of the constituent.
- If a membership programme has payments tracked in another system, revenue transactions and the revenue history are not available.
- From this page, tou can select a membership transaction and click Edit to change the level and term, as well as the transaction and expiration dates.
- In the Attributes section, view a summary panel of attributes related to the membership. From this panel, you can manage add, edit, and delete attributes. You can use membership attributes to track additional information about the membership.
- To set up attribute categories, go to Administration and click Attribute categories under Data.
- To add/edit/delete a membership attribute:
- Click Add under Attributes, or expand the Attribute line and click Edit. The Add (or Edit) membership attribute screen opens.
- Select/edit the attribute category and value.
- Enter/edit start and end dates, if required, as well as any comments.
- Click Save.
- If an attribute no longer applies to a membership, you can remove it. Expand the attribute line and click Delete. Click Yes to confirm.
- In the Documentation section, view a summary section of documentation related to the membership. From this documentation panel, you can manage notes, links, and attachments, in the same way you manage these items on the Documentation tab of a record.
Memberships have several tasks, such as to transfer the membership from one constituent to another. When you view membership benefits and sent items (including membership cards), you have several actions you can perform with the membership cards.
Edit Members for a Membership
After you add a membership, you can edit some details.
- In the summary section on Membership tab or the constituent membership page, click Edit members.
- On the Edit members screen, you can indicate which member is the primary member, as well as change the members.
- You cannot change the number of members allowed or add more members than the membership programme and level allow. You cannot remove a member if the member is marked as the primary member.
- Click Save.
Edit Membership Details
After you add a membership, you can edit details such as the level, term, expiration date.
- In the summary section on Membership tab or the constituent membership page, click Other tasks and select Edit membership details.
- Edit details as required.
- Only active levels are available when you edit membership details.
- You cannot edit the term or the expiration date for recurring and lifetime programmes.
Edit Membership ID
The membership ID is the primary identifier for the member used by your organization. On the constituent’s membership page, the ID appears on the Memberships tab. On the membership details page, the ID appears in the profile summary at the top of the page.
When you add a membership, the membership ID is generated automatically by the programme. The next available membership ID is assigned. Membership IDs are unique for each membership. If the membership is canceled or deleted, the ID is not used again by the programme for another membership.
- On the constituent membership page, click Other tasks and select Edit membership ID.
- The Edit membership ID screen opens. Edit the Membership ID as required.
- Click Save.
Change Installment Plan Schedule
If a membership is to be paid with a membership installment plan schedule, you can reschedule the remaining installments.
- In the summary section on Membership tab or the constituent membership page, click Change instalment plan schedule.
- On the Reschedule remaining instalments screen, you can view the total revenue amount along with the balance. For the remaining installments, you can change the frequency and the number of instalments remaining, as well as the next installment date.
- Click Save.
Mid-term Upgrade for a Membership
You can sell an upgrade to a membership during the membership, but prior to the renewal window. In order to be eligible for an upgrades, the membership must be changing from one level to a higher level, such as from Individual to Family, or from a shorter term to a longer term. You cannot upgrade a membership from one membership programme to another.
When you upgrade a membership, the membership retains the expiration date which is the furthest out from the current date. If that date is not correct, you can manually adjust it.
Only memberships that are paid in full are eligible to be upgraded. This includes memberships purchased with a single payment or memberships with installment plans which have been paid off completely.
When you upgrade a membership, the price of the membership is used to determine the balance the member owes to purchase the upgrade. If an annual, dues-based membership was purchased for £50 and the next level is £75, the member can pay the £25 difference for the upgrade. If the same membership could also be purchased with six £10 installments and the installments were paid in full, the upgrade would cost the member £15 instead.
If a membership is eligible to be upgraded, an Upgrade now button appears for the membership on the constituent's Memberships tab and on the constituent membership page. The only level and term options available are ones that change the membership to a higher level with same or longer term or to a longer term at the same level.
When a membership is upgraded, any add-ons restricted to one per membership are not available if one is already associated with the membership. Add-ons that weren't previously purchased or ones that can be purchased more than once per membership are available. Any benefits associated with the upgraded level are included in the upgrade transaction unless they are manually removed.
You can transfer a membership and all related history from one constituent to another.
- On the constituent membership page, click Other tasks and select Transfer membership. The Transfer membership screen opens.
- In the New primary member field, click the binoculars to select the constituent who receives the transfer of membership.
- Click Save. The membership is removed from the first constituent and transferred to the constituent you selected.
Note: The primary member must be a constituent in the database. If the constituent is already a member of the programme, you cannot transfer the membership.
Renew or Rejoin a Membership
When a membership expires, a Renew now button appears on the constituent's membership page. When a membership is lapsed or dropped, the Rejoin button appears. When you click Renew now or Rejoin, you can select the membership dues batch to add the renewal or rejoin transaction. For more information, see Membership Dues.
Cancel a Membership
- On the Membership tab, click Other tasks and select Cancel membership.
- Select a reason for the cancellation. To add a new reason, click the Add icon. (You can also add a new reason from Memberships > Configuration > Reason codes)
- Click Save.
- If required, you can click on the rejoin button to add their membership back in.
Membership Card Tasks
Issue New Membership Card
- On the constituent membership page, click Issue new card in the Member cards section. The Issue new card screen opens.
- The name of the primary member defaults in the Member field, but you can select a different member for the membership if there is one.
- In Name on card, select the name format to use for the card.
- In Expires on, the expiration date for the membership is displayed. Change it if necessary.
- Enter any comments, as required.
You are allowed to issue as many cards as the membership level allows. If the membership level allows one card and a card has already been issued, you will not be able to issue another card until you cancel the first card. For further information see Cancel Membership Card.
Edit Membership Card
- On the constituent membership page, in the Member cards section expand the existing card row and click Edit. The Edit membership card screen opens.
- Edit details such as member name, name on card, expiration date and comments. If you edit a membership card and need to reprint it, you will need to clear the Membership Card Print status first. See next section.
- Click Save.
Clear Membership Card Print Status
Once a card is printed, the status changes to 'Printed.' To reprint it, you must clear the status first. On the constituent membership page, in the Member cards section, expand the card line and click Clear print status. The satus is reset to 'Issued’.
Assign Membership Card Number
To associate a card number with the membership card, on the Assign card number screen enter the card number and click Save.
Cancel or Delete Membership Card
You can issue as many cards as the membership level allows. If the membership level allows one card and a card has already been issued, you will not be able to issue another card until you cancel or delete the first card.
Only cards with a status of 'Issued' can be deleted.
- On the constituent membership page, in the Member cards section, expand the existing card row.
- To cancel the card, click Cancel membership card. The membership card status is set to 'Canceled’.
- To delete the card, click Delete. The membership card is removed and no record of the card being issued remains.