DARS User Guidelines for University Fundraisers
- 1 Preface
- 2 Introduction
- 3 Prospect Area
- 4 General Constituent Record
This article will be updated on a regular basis. Updates may be required in response to updates to DARS or changes to business processes or errors.
Refer to DARSWiki Conventions for information on icons and other conventions that may apply to this User Guidelines article.
Ensure you are familiar with the Data Protection laws before adding data to records in DARS. Refer to DARSWiki FurtherHelp for further information and relevant links.
Please think twice before printing this article. If a printed copy is necessary, ensure it is printed double-sided and always recycle old versions.
These DARS-User guidelines apply to all Central University development professionals working in the system. The guidelines are intended to ensure that consistent, accurate and up-to-date data is held in DARS for all constituents and prospects for the benefit of the Collegiate University.
- All active prospects should have a prospect plan (named using the DARS Naming Convention) with the lead fundraiser assigned as Plan Primary Manager
- The Plan Primary Manager is responsible for maintaining and updating the prospect plan
- Non-active prospect plans should be marked ‘historical’ – this requires incomplete plan steps and opportunities to be cancelled or updated to conclusion
- UODO Executives, VC / Pro-VCs, Heads of divisions/departments who are directly involved in team solicitation plans should be assigned as Secondary Solicitors
- Parties working external to the Collegiate University on behalf of the prospect/donor e.g. the prospect’s trustees, advisors, colleagues, lawyers should be assigned as Plan Participants
- Solicitation and background planning actions should be recorded as plan steps within the prospect plan (interactions with the prospect should be fed into the constituent Interactions section by selecting a step Contact Method e.g. 'Formal meeting', 'Email - Incoming')
- The Central University fundraiser leading the relationship should be assigned as UO Relationship Lead (and also Prospect Manager for all non-alumni and organisations where the ‘Central University’ is the Relationship Manager on the recorded on the constituent record)
- Prospects no longer managed by a fundraiser should have these assignments end-dated
- 'Qualified' prospects should have a gift Opportunity recorded in the prospect plan. The opportunity should be regularly updated as the solicitation progresses to completion.
- 'Unqualified' opportunities may be added for solicitation planning and initial categorisation of prospects at different giving levels (update to ‘Qualified’ when progressed)
- Updated ‘Accepted’ gift opportunities assist the Gift Registry to identify incoming donations
- Gift acknowledgment letters should be recorded in DARS as per the official process
- Pledged legacies should be reported to the UODO Legacies Officer and recorded in the Planned Gifts tab in the Prospect page or within the prospect plan
- Prospect interactions (e.g. meetings, correspondence) should be recorded by adding a prospect plan step with a Contact Method selected
- Items attached as step Documentation will also appear as interaction Documentation (in the Documentation tab of the interaction)
- Non-plan related interactions can be added as an interaction via the constituent record
- Attach Proposals and Gift Agreements to plan Documentation; use the official process for recording completed and pending Donor Reports
- Contact Reports should be produced for all prospect meetings and attached as a Type pf ‘Contact Report’ to the Documentation tab of the meeting prospect plan step / interaction
- Clearance requests for alumni should be submitted via the formal Clearance System process
- Fundraisers should first seek internal clearance from an existing UO Relationship Lead when proposing a new prospect relationship (add a ‘Relationship Lead Clearance’ plan step)
Note: The prospect records, plans and fundraising parameters described above are best accessed, viewed and managed via the DARS My Fundraiser page for the staff member assigned into a plan or step role.
General Constituent Record
- The single Prospect Manager / UO Relationship Lead is responsible for maintaining correct and updated information on the constituent record for all non-alumni and organisations
- The UO Relationship Lead is responsible for maintaining correct and updated information on the constituent record for the alumni of non-DARS colleges
- The relevant DARS-college Prospect Manager is responsible for maintaining correct and updated information on the constituent record for the alumni of that DARS college
General Constituent Information
- Correct contact details (address, phone and email), name formats (salutations and addressees) and personal information should be maintained on the constituent record
- The information on the constituent record should comply with DARS Data Protection rules
- Sensitive or confidential items can be stored in a site secure interaction
Constituencies and Attributes
- Constituencies (e.g. Prospect, Staff) and Attributes (e.g. Honours, CCB/VCC) should be maintained on the constituent record – never end-date a Prospect constituency
- Liaise with Academic Records and the DARS Helpdesk to record Oxford education detail in the constituent Education tab
- Maintain Educational Involvements (e.g. club memberships) and current Interests (e.g. drama, chess)
- Spouse and family relationships should be recorded where appropriate (as either a Relationship, or an Attribute - if it is not appropriate to create a record for the relation)
- Primary Business and employment relationships should be updated
- Key peer-to-peer relationships (e.g. colleagues, friends) should be updated
- All constituent Group memberships (e.g. CCB/VCC, fellows, alumni groups) should be updated, where appropriate in liaison with the Relationship Manager of that Group
Solicit Codes, Communications and Mail Preferences
- Solicit codes (e.g. Do Not Contact, Do Not Solicit) and the related category (e.g. 'Central University', 'Internal Decision',) should be maintained by the Relationship Manager entity
- Constituents can be assigned to opt-in or opt-out of particular Oxford communications by recording the appropriate Mail Preference